November 18, 2008

The Autumn Test & Fall Craziness




Your Autumn Test Results



You are a dynamic, vibrant person. You aren't afraid to pursue your passions.



When you're happiest, you are outgoing and expressive . You love celebrations, and you enjoy showing off a little.



You tend to be afraid of change. You are never ready for things to be different.



You find love to be the most comforting thing in the world. You feel at peace when you're with your loved ones.



Your ideal day is active and full. You like to keep busy with your favorite things, and you appreciate a routine.



You tend to live in the moment. You enjoy whatever is going on, and you don't obsess over the past or future.


I have had a crazy last 3 weeks around here. We sheared our new romneys and I have 5 nice white Romney fleeces to wash.


I have been trying Mim's (Desert Peach Farm), cold water fleece wash method and the first one has turned out awesome. I think I will use some of it for the wool swap in the raw wool lovers group on Ravelry. It has a shorter staple length of 2 1/2 to 3 inches but it is a really nice natural color fleece with a lot of luster.

Soccer season is finally winding down for the boys and only one is going to play for one session of indoor. That is better as it is just on Saturdays with no practices. I really love watching them play.
4H has been crazy trying to get all of my club enrollments done, working on year end club awards and I have started a spinning project group. I only have 3 kids so far but there are so many fun things to go to in our area and I have access to most of the equipment we need so why not add some more craziness to my life! I was recently elected to our county 4H leaders association board and I am also on a county 4H committee that has spent the last year working on revising our record books to make them more user friendly for kids and parents. We have been putting on workshops and training sessions so spare time has been precious. One of my 4H parents has started a blog for our 4H horse group so that will make information access much better to manage for me at least.
Lambing should start in January so we are getting ready to go through our bred ewes and get them wormed and vaccinated and we are bringing the ewe lambs home from pasture this weekend to get them on feed for the winter.
One thing that has been really cool this week is watching the NAILE (North American International Livestock Exposition) sheep shows on the internet. They have a camera in each of the two show rings and you can watch the show in real time. The site is www.livestockexpo.org if the link thingy doesnt work.
We have friends showing Corriedales and Columbias and it has been fun watching them show and to see what the judges are looking for with the Hampshires. The Romney show is on Friday so that will be fun and interesting to see what the judge uses.
Spinning has been slow lately. I did break down for a couple of days last week when it was raining to card up the rest of one of my N/C Romney fleeces with some alpaca into some batts and spin up some of that and some of the superwash seconds I got from Carol Lee at the Sheepshed Studio. The gray is some the natural colored Romney/Alpaca and the blue the superwash spun up.

I also spun up some Border Leister/Romney lamb locks for some slippers for my niece for Xmas.



I am slowly finishing a knitted sweater for my son and have some more socks to do before Xmas. Why is it the older you get the less time you have and the faster it goes by?

1 comment:

Mim said...

OH, those slippers are the best! Tell us more on how you made them. I miss 4-H our son is 38 now. I long for the days when we did 4-H and other kid stuff. Good to here the cold water wash for your fleece turned out. I'm sold on this method of washing fleece.
Great post!