October 23, 2008

The Lap Robe is Finished!

This is the latest project that I have finished. I have delivered it to our friends who are letting us use their pasture for our ewe lambs. The wool for the robe came from one of the N/C Romney ewes we bought from them last fall. I thought they might want a keepsake from one of their sheep.
I started with 1 1/2 lbs of the washed gray fleece and I kettle dyed it with Wilton royal blue paste dye, dried it on a screen outside in the sun, and then I put it through my little box picker which works super. The color separated some but I thought this just added some character to it. This is a picture of the fleece picked and ready for the carder.

I carded the dyed fleece into batts and spun them into 2 ply worsted weight yarn.
I used the Fern Leaf Lap Robe pattern on Ravelry (this pattern is a free download). The colors turned out heathery with a blue/green base and some dark blue, purple, and pink highlights in some areas. It was heavier than I thought it would be and will be very warm. Sheep fitting stands make great blockers, too!


Now on to the next projects, some socks, slippers, and a sweater by Christmas. So many things, so little time.

1 comment:

Timiae said...

Beautiful! I love the "progress" pictures you posted... so nice to see it go from a blob of fuzziness to a gorgeous finished object!

Oh, and Bob is quite handsome!